Abandoned lake...

family

Yesterday i had a good look on google earth around my area, i found this lake, about 4 acres inside a triangle of railway lines. The lake was hard to get to as the gate was locked. Once we got there it was clear this lake was pretty much unheard of, great i thought. I took a closer look around and the water had seemed to have got shallower to the images on google earth. there was a few clearings in the woods where people had been. There was massive amounts of rubbish, and it was evident someone had fished there. there was fire marks, rubbish and the water was very grotty. i then found what seemed to be a fish feeding contraption. it was 3 barrels filled with seed with a tube that released the food at the bottom. because the water had shallowed the tubes where out of the water. Walking around the lake there was a lot of fish in there, they were extremely dark like wild carp, i saw some big carp there too in a deeper area near an old barrage. I felt it was such a shame to see them living in those conditions. there was so much rubbish and the water was grimey, it was suprising how anything was living there. whilst walking i considered myself lucky i didnt bump into some polish people getting their dinner.. such a shame.[/img]

I seem to remember a very well respected member on here using pheasant feeders to keep his spots topped up on a lake. Damn good idea.

As for the lake, give it a go mate, you never know! Just don't go alone...

Don't go alone.

I'll come with you. It's got to be done!

Ian

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Same here! 
move just moved close to the m6 looking on google maps I’ve found a 5 acre lake abandoned so had a little walk around and it’s got a head of wild carp. And tench my biggest being 8lb  carp was a 16lb on this one day 

since then I’ve fished it and fished it with no luck 

I’ve used bread, maggot, pellets,bollies pop ups and nothing since that there’s loads of csrp about just not taking 

doing a bit more resaresch it’s a old lake off the Prince Albert card  just left any help on how to help me catch the clever gits would be a help 

So I’ve just moved to a town  and looking on google maps I’ve found a lake. so I take my 6ft rod and get there and it’s all over grown it toke me 20 mins to find it  I get there and it’s full! Of wild carp! It’s clear bin left for some many number of years  so I fish there for tv e day and managed to have a 8lb tench and a nice csrp! Great! 
well since that day I’ve fished it over 40 times and had nothing but a few tench  I’ve Tryed all the naturals and no carp!! 
doing more research I’ve found out it’s a old Prince Albert water witch was sold and left over 7 years ago 

can anyone point me in the right away as in baits they are so clever I’ve put so many hours and only that one time on floating bread since then nothing 

if anyone would like to know where This little  Beaut Is let me know 

share the love of fishing 💙

Edited by Kalllum lindop
Picture added

21 hours ago, Kalllum lindop said:

Same here! 
move just moved close to the m6 looking on google maps I’ve found a 5 acre lake abandoned so had a little walk around and it’s got a head of wild carp. And tench my biggest being 8lb  carp was a 16lb on this one day 

I’ve used bread, maggot, pellets,bollies pop ups and nothing since that there’s loads of csrp about just not taking 

doing a bit more resaresch it’s a old lake off the Prince Albert card  just left any help on how to help me catch the clever gits would be a help 

Bull pool??

21 hours ago, Kalllum lindop said:

Same here! 

I know a lot of waters have not been producing many fish because of the hot weather we had for so long.

Simple answer is walk and look for fish, put bait in, and keep an eye on it.

I would be baiting up with pellets or Vitalin, even sweetcorn, then walking round and doing the same in a number of spots, and keep looking at them regularly through the day, maybe eventually dropping a hookbait in on the lift float.

That technique has worked for me on plenty of waters, from heavily fished lakes, to lakes that are hardly fished.

• 2 years later...

Genuine question, what makes a lake ‘abandoned’ ?

And if it’s abandoned does that not mean that nobody owns it ?

I can’t understand why someone would own a lake and have it just sitting there doing nothing . Surely if you own a lake and don’t want it you get rid ? 
Some people must have more money than sense 😄

11 hours ago, newmarket said:

Genuine question, what makes a lake ‘abandoned’ ?

And if it’s abandoned does that not mean that nobody owns it ?

I can’t understand why someone would own a lake and have it just sitting there doing nothing . Surely if you own a lake and don’t want it you get rid ? 
Some people must have more money than sense 😄

I guess it's all about the land , wait until a builder makes an offer that can't be refused , and then cash in ? .

🤔