Black Mirror Dead

nash_gadgeteer

Anglers mail claim that everything in the lake is dead, record sized eels as well as a common that was bigger than the black lady herself. Does anyone know the existance of this common?

I've read elsewhere that the common was estimated to be 60+

Anglers mail claim that everything in the lake is dead, record sized eels as well as a common that was bigger than the black lady herself. Does anyone know the existance of this common?

I've read elsewhere that the common was estimated to be 60+

ive also heard this

Now this is a shame as to me a great fish a real stunner. More of a disaster than two tone as the whole lake has been wiped out.

Definitely a shame.

A proper real fish, but the rest of the wildlife around the lake is also dead. It seems to me that there can only be one cause, I sure hope the reason is found out by a proper investigation. The lake is in the middle of an SSSI. It may only cover the birdlife, but the other aquatic life is as important to them as the fish are to us. :!:

a few people have wrote about spotting the big common, its mentioned in both terry hearn and dave lanes books, in fact dave lane documents how he tried stalking it with a worm!

its a shame not only that the fish have gone, but the stories that the mere has produced over the years will never be added to again!

highly recomend reading dave lanes " a flick of the tail" to see exactly what catching the black mirror means to people, and the effort they go through to catch it

Its stories like that of the black mirror and other 'unknown' 40's and 50's that inspired me into big fish angling. There will be more unknown collosal carp to come but it will take a lot to rival the black mirror. In Dave Lanes book does it specify how big he thought this fish was? Were we in for a new british record but in the shape of a common?

Cheers

Will

This has got to be one of the worst events in modern carp angling, the mere and the stories must have fired many a carp angler with a burning passion

thank god for anglers like terry hearn and dave lane for not only fishing lakes like this but including the tales in their books