Spodding in Oz. Who else is giving it a go?

I think would you have fairly balanced gear and a fare bit of practice the distance will come.

When i did alot of spodding back in the 90's i think a weight inside the spod similar in weight to the particles i was using and go out and practice different casting techniques.

I read somewhere is carpworld or online about using the pendilum cast and that would lock the rod up more or put more bend in the rod before casting.

I bought some spodding and marker gear back with me on a visit to the UK and a free Korda dvd which was very helpful, consistency of the mix I found was one on the most important things I used pigeon conditioner & got the right consistency by adding crumb, that way I didn't get any coming out the back or sticking in the spod or covering me. I spooled both the marker & spod reels up with Sufix braid and found that was excellent, overall it was good fun & its a useful option to have at your disposal.

I had a few goes with it & caught Carp but I'm of the opinion we don't really need to use it here all that often, horses for courses, if there's a feature that you can't get bait out to by any other means - one particular one at Lake Tuggeranong comes to mind & perhaps the islands on LBG - then its great for that, but in my experience Canberra's lakes are pretty barren and featureless when you get out there, most of your features like reed beds & weeds are within a few rod lengths of the banks which is where most of the food is and consequently where most of the Carp are, I would say 95% of my fish came within 4 rod lengths of the bank and some of the biggest came almost under the rod tip, if your a stealthy low profile sort of angler then its always possible to bring the Carp to you. :wink:

atb,

Chris

Nails, the SPOMB people reckon that they've never sold a spomb directly from their website to Australia. There is one that they gave to a friend in Adelaide and yours is via ebay, so you possibly have one of only two in Oz. (Depending if anyone else got one from their many outlets of course)

The ability to dump almost any consistancy at range really appeals to me as I was keen to distribute some small particulate in the water so as to put the suggestion of food out there, without giving anything substantial to eat.

It's also not going to require so much of a fast crank back either.

The whole point of spodding is to dump food out there, its a feed delivery system you dump a pile out there with the spod, then strategically place a bait or two, I still don't know why there's a need for distance its not really needed in Canberra - unless you are fishing off the tray of a ute with AC/DC going full blast, don't laugh I've seen that from Canberra rednecks, in my experience distance only gives the Carp more scope to not get caught, give a wild Carp half a chance and it will be away.

atb,

Chris

It's also not going to require so much of a fast crank back either.

Yes mate, that 10000 size reel takes just over 1m of line with one crank of the handle, so certainly gets it back quick smart ready for an another payload. Cheers.

Nails