Anchor Rig

carp_warrior

The anchor rig has been around for years - and that's the only name I've ever known it by.

I don't see anything wrong with your proposed approach mate - I've never actually used it since coated braids were widely available, but have used it with both relatively stiff set-ups (i.e. Amnesia) and also supple, like multi-strand and uncoated braid.

a stiff bristle like material like IQ pushed through the line aligner

The theory seems OK but i'm not won over on the prospect of the stiff bristle damaging the fish's mouth once hooked?

Is there really any need to be going down the silly named super rig route? unless you have a specific reason to do so?

Never mind! It's not what a rig looks like in your hand, but what it does in the water and in the fishes chops that is the key.

The anchor rig - with a few little tweeks - is one of my all time most prolific fish catchers.

As for the comment about the stiff bristle damaging the fishes mouth - it doesn't - I've never seen it.

can you stick a pic up :?::idea:

is this the rig that sorta looks like the withypool but has the hook link coming out the middle instead of the end, of tubing (shorter)then has the stiff bit to follow the shape of what would be the long curved tubing??????

can you stick a pic up :?::idea:

is this the rig that sorta looks like the withypool but has the hook link coming out the middle instead of the end, of tubing (shorter)then has the stiff bit to follow the shape of what would be the long curved tubing??????

I had a quick search for a pic of the Anchor rig on t'interweb, but unfortunately I can't find one. From Memory there is a published picture in a Tim Paisley book, To Catch a Carp, it is in the Frank Warwick rig section chapter.

As you tie the rig using a line aligner or piece of tubing over the eye of the hook you push a stiff piece of mono through the tubing at 90degrees to the eye of the hook so it goes from side to side.

This piece of mono (bristle) then forms an anchor shape that helps prevent the rig being ejected. (in theory)

There is also another with a bristle used to prevent ejection, it extends beyond the hair at the base of the shank, and is basically like that "hair in the mouth with food" that you are constantly trying to split the 2 up with your tongue

I can think of a number of rigs that look rubbish in my hand, but hook very effectively. As Dan says, it is NOT how they work in the hand, but how they hook the carp, hopefully causing minimal damage. I CAN'T comment on the effectiveness or any potential damage of the Anchor or Bristle rig as I have honestly never used them.

I haven't got a picture of it I'm afraid.

As Nick says - it was Frank Warwick I believe who develop it, or at least took the credit for it if he didn't develop it himself!

And yes, it's exactly that - a stiff bristle inserted through the shrink tube at 90 degrees to the shank of the hook. If you imagine the shape of your hook - with that bristle going across - you can see why it's called the "anchor".