A poem dedicated to Heather & Benson....

pj_garn

For to those who have read my poetry in the past and enjoyed it... please read on!!! To those who have critised in the past, don't bother please read the next post!!!!

Benson & Heather Gone

In the land of Britannia,

They don’t remain nameless,

Revered by all anglers,

Carp achieve celebrity status.

From “Alice” of Kent,

To “Zelda” in Nottingham,

Mirrors, Leathers, Linears…

Even “The Kiss of Death Common.”

Endless days spent baiting,

With nights full of wish,

Bivvied and waiting,

For that one special fish!

The pursuit of a named one,

Is what we all yearn,

“Heather the Leather”

Fell once, to the one Terry Hearn.

And in Kingfisher Lake,

Lived “the people’s fish”

Benson the common,

Only sixty-three accomplish.

But late in the summer,

Of the year twenty ‘o’ nine,

It was good Ol’ Benson’s,

Time to decline.

And sadly, as with all things,

Eventually, they must die,

Heather’s too swimming,

The big lake in the sky.

But we must go on,

In our camos or fleece,

Benson and Heather gone,

May you both… Rest In Peace.

I hope you enjoyed this... my little tribute from the land downunder and although I cannot chase these named beauties myself, I appreciate them for what they are.

I just wished Australians could embrace with such passion Carp for the magnificient creatures they are and see that they infact can have personality and are immensly beautiful!!! Mind you, it is nice to have any water to yourself on any given weekend and not be crowded out or battling for a spot!!! Also we don't pay a fortune for the privledge either... infact we pay nothing to fish anywhere!!! We Carpers are looked upon as being alittle odd??? :shock: They just don't understand!!!!! Do they????:wink:

Cheers

PJ

a well thought out poem, good on you sir 8)

Very good mate - like it! :wink:

Captures the magic of UK carping - thank you

Cheers gents

Glad you enjoyed it!!!! In fact I am an ex-pom stuck in the land of Oz... but still get to endulge my passion for Carp and have chased them in the UK but not on any of the waters with named fish!!!

PJ :wink:

amazing poetry mate, i normaly hate reading etc but that poem was amazing to read. i think you should sell it to carp magazines they might buy it and its a shame we couldnt have caught them fish ourselves :)

Thanks young one!!!! I would love some royalities from this piece and others I've written... It's funny really I've gotta be in the mood to write them but some just flow if the sentiment and issue is right!!!!

Any magazine eds out there please contact me if you're interested!!! pjgarn@optusnet.com.au

Cheers

PJ

great poem mate thanks ,,,,,,,,,,

theres a thread on here dream fishing lakes ,well i think youve worked out mine for me the great lake in the sky,

with all the great late fish ,

but i guess i will have to wait for that like we all must ,

thanks again for the poem ,,,,,,

• 3 weeks later...
heather was a wonderfull fish yes a true british carp hero...... but benson was a mug fish come on lads it wasfrench.....!!!!!!!

annie was the best of the lot in my eyes.....

If your eyes can't read and appreciate what is a nice bit of prose from a bloke from the other side of the planet...imo...what your eyes see really doesn't matter a zot. :roll:

Nice work on the poem PJ. Can't wait to get back home at Chrissie for another session on the bank with you and Tom!!

Take it easy,

Ben

benson was a mug fish come on lads it wasfrench.....!!!!!!!

Benson wasn't French :?

I was under the impression that Benson and Herman from Warmwell were both foreign commons , one from France and the other from Belgium. I know Herman wasnt mentioned ,but that is what i was told by the owner of very well known monthly carp magazine.

If your eyes can't read and appreciate what is a nice bit of prose from a bloke from the other side of the planet...imo...what your eyes see really doesn't matter a zot. :roll:

Nice work on the poem PJ. Can't wait to get back home at Chrissie for another session on the bank with you and Tom!!

Take it easy,

Ben

Mate good to hear from you!!! Can't wait for another session at Christmas... I'll prebait for afew days and get the [censored]s (didn't realise this word was offensive these days... begins with B... has two g's in it and ends with s!!!!lol) chewing!!!! Maybe this time you'll have time to do a prawning sesh too!!! Hope all is going well for the World Carp Classic 2010!!!

Glad you enjoyed this latest effort!!!

PJ

Well done mate a great poem i have read it a couple of times noand it makes the

hairs on my arms stand on end,just wish i could of got the chance to

See them grace my net.althought never caught by myself they will always be in my

Thoughts and my heart

R.I.P guys

Hey Scotty

This is probably the first time I've raise hairs with my verses!!!!

Cheers for your sentiments

PJ