Would this work?

getnoshedup

Hey guys, its been a while since i last posted, maybe a good thing :P haha but never mind.

I did the first session on my new lake/club water today, and unsurprisingly (probably) blanked... i was kind of expecting this as i don't know much about the lake, but during the day it seems the other three anglers on this lake also had no action.

As its a new lake, i really want to get to know the in's and out's of it, So im thinking i need a market rod and reel, but i am on a budget.... So i was thinking..

I have a spare 2.5lb test curve rod and an old bait runner style reel... Berkely whiplash is going reasonably cheap at the minute so i was thinking about filling my old reel with it and using it.

Would it be any good or not very efficient ?

Or should i buy a marker rod, and still do the same as above?

Or save up and buy a good set! Suggestions please....

I hope you can help, because im not sure...

Regards

Tom

If you can make do with what you have, go for it :D

But a dedicated set up will make a massive difference- especially braid mainline! :)

There are loads of threads on marker rods/reels etc etc on this site< have a quick look around mate (Y)

Jack

I think its more about using it regularly and learning to interpret whatever it is you're feeling at the other end. Theres nothing like experience and I'm not convinced you need the latest 'dedicated' marker rod set-up. Or not the whole package anyway.

I use a well-travelled, battered old rod thats probably older than Gods dog and the reels one of the first shimanos I ever bought, which tells you a lot.

But, I agree, the one thing you can't skimp on is the line...a braided line...which is essential. The difference in what you can tell about a lakebed when choosing braid over mono is worlds apart.

But, like I say, theres nothing like getting out there and learning. :)

I think its more about using it regularly and learning to interpret whatever it is you're feeling at the other end. Theres nothing like experience and I'm not convinced you need the latest 'dedicated' marker rod set-up. Or not the whole package anyway.

I use a well-travelled, battered old rod thats probably older than Gods dog and the reels one of the first shimanos I ever bought, which tells you a lot.

But, I agree, the one thing you can't skimp on is the line...a braided line...which is essential. The difference in what you can tell about a lakebed when choosing braid over mono is worlds apart.

But, like I say, theres nothing like getting out there and learning. :)

I was quite looking forward to responding but then i realised i would only be repeating what you have just said :wink:

A stiffer rod will tell you a lot more regarding the make-up of the lake bed (Do you have a Spod Rod you could use?), but yeah the rod you mentioned will do for now certainly. The only downside i can see really is that you will be limited to fishing spots you can reach with your marker set up rather than what you are capable of reaching with your fishing rods (i.e. in a perfect world you should be able to achive a similar distance with your marker set up as you can with a baited rig - see where i'm coming from?).

Obviously if the lake is relatively small, and all that is required is short to medium range work then there is no issue.

It'll do mate.

Chris

well im on a tight budget to mate and this is what im doing to save up.

just look around for a cheap spod rod look at the fox ones :wink: and then get any old decent reel and fill it with a good braid.

yes its a spod rod but you can also use it as a marker rod. so now you can set up a marker, find your spot and clip up then use the clip to cast a spod out and you get all that for what price of one set up :)

I think Ive posted this somewhere before but i use two Greys prodigy spod rods- one is for doing what it says on the tin, the other is my marker rod, both are coupled with Shimmy Biomasters, the same reels that i use for all my fishing.

I do this because it allows me to cast more accurately as im used to the rods/reels and allows me to cast an equal distance of my actual rigs :wink:

The more different types of rod and reel you have- the more time you have to spend to master each one and the more room for error there is.

Btw, dont skimp on your tackle- buy quality, secondhand is better than cheaper tackle brought new.

Jack :)

Thanks for all the advice..

The lake is not huge, probably a 50yard chuck will get me to any places i want to be and i can cast that with my old set up, especially with hefty marker lead on.

I think for now i will just use my old set up with braid on the reel. I just intend to go down there on a quiet day and just get to know whats out there. I've already found out the depths and that its fairly silty (although i knew that from my first session as there was no noticeable *Donk* when the lead hit the surface and when i was reeling back in i could tell..

But the cheap option will defiantly be adequate to find depths and hopefully pick out some harder spots/gravel patches because boy do i want to know where these fish are feeding! They certainly don't give them selves up that easily!

Thanks

Tom