how heavy should you fish

NICE TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SENSIBLE ANGLERS ABOUT ,THAT DONT FISH TOO LIGHTLEAVING HOOKS LINE ETC IN THE POOR OLD FISH.NOW I AM GOING TO GIVE MYSELF UP NORMALY I FISH 11LB STRAIGHT THRU .BUT SOMETIMES I USE 50LB SPIDERWIRE & GET BUSTED ON IT.TOLD YOU I WASNT MUCH OF A FISHERMAN .MATCHFISHING TATICS ARE GOOD FUN FOR SMALL CARP BUT?.TROUBLE IS THAT WE GOT TOO MANY BIG CARP HERE ISNT IT SAD .CHEERS MACBILLY

• 1 month later...
NICE TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE SENSIBLE ANGLERS ABOUT ,THAT DONT FISH TOO LIGHTLEAVING HOOKS LINE ETC IN THE POOR OLD FISH.NOW I AM GOING TO GIVE MYSELF UP NORMALY I FISH 11LB STRAIGHT THRU .BUT SOMETIMES I USE 50LB SPIDERWIRE & GET BUSTED ON IT.TOLD YOU I WASNT MUCH OF A FISHERMAN .MATCHFISHING TATICS ARE GOOD FUN FOR SMALL CARP BUT?.TROUBLE IS THAT WE GOT TOO MANY BIG CARP HERE ISNT IT SAD .CHEERS MACBILLY

Caps lock off is my first bit of advice! I fish 30lb braid for all my carping, i fish at range most times though we are talking 120 yards plus! Not sad bros about having big carp in oz, i like the fact that the locals are not interested as gives me plenty of quiet waters to fish!

Spiderwire is crud. Try the Penn brand, though braid and psuedo braid has no place in carp fishing IMO. Stretch and patience.

50lb????? All that will do is cause a hook pull.

3-12lb is the maximum you will ever need. 8-10 is a good all rounder. Heavier/thicker lines result in less bites through line detection. Plus there's no joy in using a rig that could haul out a bogged Pajero.

From what I'm hearing i'd say your rod doesn't have much feel to it and doesn't play fish well. Loosen the drag, and slowly work the fish to you.

Our waters are snaggy as.... fav trick to it is to use a free running carp controller float to keep the line high and away from danger.

Was using the same techniques the weekend gone on trout, 8lb line, float rod, baitrunner, controller, hair rigged power bait off a size 10 mudeye hook. Did the business.