What would you do!!

plowmanccfc

Hi guys,

Im struggling a bit on my local syndicate, Its a fairly hard water so i dont mind to much.

Il tell you a little about the place; Its circular in shape, About 3 acres, Margins are 4-7ft deep, In the middle it drops down to 50ft, The drop starts at about 15ft from the bank,There is a non fishing bank which is fenced of but you can go over there and peer through the snags.

This bank is so carp'y and the carp are always patrolling the same spots. The water is gin clear and you can often spot the carp passing underneath the iron stanchion, Ideally i would cast two that bank, But its a good 100 yards and as its so snag'y i don't think i would get the carp out safely,

To add to the difficulty, Its used as a canoeing lake, And sea cadets are on it regular, These carp are stunning, Proper old warriors and well worth the effort so what would you do in the circumstances?

plowmanccfc :wink:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm , fishing close to snags are 100 yards..

Thats quite a distance, Maybe you could fish it, providing you had your clutch done up fairly tight? but ive never fished that far out before, so im not sure of the time delay between your bait being picked up and getting a run...

Maybe you could get some delks and put them on 6 sensitivity :P haha

What im trying to say is, i dont think it would be that bad if you was straight on the fish if you got in.

Hmmmm , fishing close to snags are 100 yards..

Thats quite a distance, Maybe you could fish it, providing you had your clutch done up fairly tight? but ive never fished that far out before, so im not sure of the time delay between your bait being picked up and getting a run...

Maybe you could get some delks and put them on 6 sensitivity :P haha

What im trying to say is, i dont think it would be that bad if you was straight on the fish if you got in.

i have delks and i would do exactly that but i had the same question,the fish could almost be in the snag before i get a bleep?

It sounds as if you may be able to get on the water? I mean there are already some allowed. Why not get a dinghy. Strong hooks, abrasive leader, drop off lead.

Or like i say, be angler A and break the rules........ :oops:

id fish to where i felt comfortable, say 90yds and bait heavier in this area and a few lighter scatterings into the snags like trails to lead them out.

and id use running leads to get quickest indication

I'd also bait heavily away from the snags to try and tempt them out if you aren't comfortable fishing that close to the snags.

Do other people on the lake use bait boats? The reason I ask is the carp may be used to having food dropped right on the edge of the snags and have no reason to come out if people keep dropping bait on their heads. This used to be a problem on my syndicate until baitboats were banned, people would mostly catch right on the edge of the snags and no where else. Since the ban carp seem to get caught from everywhere.

I know what you mean about the boats BBJ, A lake i fish sees 90% of the fish caught from the middle of the lake in an area about the size of a 5yd box, and its beyond most peoples casting range. Ive suggested banning boats but....

I've had 1 out all season fished really tight to the snags,not fished it much but im now going to give it a good bash,starting from tomorrow,

im going to start buy using a helicopter set-up with cell pop up topped with artificial corn boiley stop,about 10ft of the snags and hopefully temp them out with some loose feed?

fish with fluro, a lead clip on as loose as posible just incase you get snagged, fish with tight lines near enought, turn sensitivity up as possible,snag ears on, clutch up tight, short rigs to give a faster bite indication , sit next to your rods with a twitch. ohh and big pit reels with a fast retreive and get beefy rods o and dont forget your tubeing and maybe 15lb + mainline. this is so you can get them fish away from the snags as soon as they bite and give you good bite detection so you can get strait on it and the snag ears so you done lose your gear. you could also starve the snag area and introduce large quantities of bait away from it and fish off a shelf. o and when you spod bait out make sure you make big crashed this will encorege them to investigate the noise later on in the session and get them out the snags. also make sure you do that for every session in the same spot the will notic it as a food source for sure. and back lead everything to make sure that the boats dont catch your line :)

Buy a kayak and fish from it like the rest of the planet does.

rest of the plant, i'm sorry but most of Englands fishing is based from a bank as that's what most fisheries only allow.

Well it's back to the drawing board for me then if that's the case. I thought the canoe+spear approach was going alright aswell...

We had a discussion similar to this one recently and in my humble opinion the best response was from Jez (jemsue5). Try a baiting campaign to draw the fish from the snags, particularly after dark.

Alternatively, fish tight lines, rods pointed at hooks, no backleads as they introduce unwanted angles in presentation. Clutches locked up. Sit on your rods, for obvious reasons. Stay awake!

Ian

Everytime I see this thread title all I can think of is "City High - What Would You Do". God dammit, get out of my head!

I think Welder has the right idea here but the only way you can find out is trying it. I'd probably fall asleep in my chair, especially with all this sun!

Buy a kayak and fish from it like the rest of the planet does.

rest of the plant, i'm sorry but most of Englands fishing is based from a bank as that's what most fisheries only allow.

The lake seems to allow paddlers so it could be a viable option. You do need to think carefully about unhooking and fish care unless you like swimming.

Generally if you are bait fishing from a 'yak you want to hold position rather than drift, so just back the 'yak into the bank/weeds.

Once you go 'yak, you'll never go back. :lol::lol:

Cheers,

Techo