best and worst buys.

mishla

best buys

1. Delkims

2. original Nash Titan bivvy and winter skin, 20yrs old an still going strong.

3.Nash Adventura carp barrow, only paid £40 and its brilliant, no more back ache or numerous trips with tackle, load it up an away you go.

Worst buys

1. cheap bivvy pegs.

2. cheap clip onto rod bite alarm when i was young, avoid like the plague.

3. i'll include this but refused to pay for it, snapped a cheap carp rod testing its action whilst still in the shop!!!!! :lol:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst buys:

Fox MMXR Alarms and reciever - unreliable, battery hungry, badly built, over priced crud.

Illuminated hangers for the above - Made battery life even worse, too bright and the wire snapped easy.

X-line in 12lb - Say no more

Best Buys:

JRC STi

JRC Super Cocoon bedchair

Trakker peachskin bag and thermal cover

Best Buys:

GTEB 8000 shimano's wouldn't use anything else

Energizer head tourch, if you need a new one there only cheap and a lot brighter than most big tackle names.

Beanie unhooking mat, its on the large side but comes into its own when landing fish, and having a kip in the mid afternoon sun

Worst buys:

Infinity barrow, can't keep it upright on uneven ground

wychwood ss rod pod, what a flimsy piece of kit, always unscrewed the buzz bar on every take

150ltr barrow bag, why is it when you have a large bag, you fill it and can't carry the stupid thing

Worst buys (and this will cause a ruck).....

Delkim alarms.

I have owned 2 sets of "Delks", both the Plus and the TXi's. And ive had them both fail me in the rain. Its not good when you have to take the alarm apart whilst its still on your buzz bars when its raining cats and dogs just to try and dry out the battery bay cos they are either.....

1. Giving you a full blown one toner when there is no line passing through the sensor or

2. They have stopped working altogether.

And this from a company who claim to sell the best all weather alarm on the market :roll:

I had a pair of £23 Micron M's for 4 years and i used them in all weathers, from blazing sun to freezing cold conditions, when it tipped it down and when it didnt and they never missed a beat once. Thats why i have now changed over to the Fox RX.

And if they screw up then its the Nevilles for me next :wink:

Worst buys (and this will cause a ruck).....

Delkim alarms.

I have owned 2 sets of "Delks", both the Plus and the TXi's. And ive had them both fail me in the rain. Its not good when you have to take the alarm apart whilst its still on your buzz bars when its raining cats and dogs just to try and dry out the battery bay cos they are either.....

1. Giving you a full blown one toner when there is no line passing through the sensor or

2. They have stopped working altogether.

And this from a company who claim to sell the best all weather alarm on the market :roll:

I had a pair of £23 Micron M's for 4 years and i used them in all weathers, from blazing sun to freezing cold conditions, when it tipped it down and when it didnt and they never missed a beat once. Thats why i have now changed over to the Fox RX.

And if they screw up then its the Nevilles for me next :wink:

Funny that Tony, as I've not had a problem with the Pluses, and I was fishing in some serious rain the other day. Got a couple of false bleeps but thats it. The card in the battery card cover gives a more snug fit.

I heard someone say that the hard case was that shape for a reason, you're meant to put the hardcase on in heavy rain, and put the rod on as you would before! Which seems pretty poor for an alarm of that price.

And, if you want a waterproof alarm, check out the Gardner TLB's, if you can find a set, they actually work underwater! Saying that though, Nevs are meant to be indestructible, I know a guy that dropped a set in the margins at night, then got it in the morning, dried them out and they still worked!

• 8 months later...

hi all,

best buys,

tfg force 8 bivvy

wychwood rogue pod

tfg signature alarms set

worst buys,

e.s.p bait needle(snaps easily)

cheap bite alarms from a catalogue :lol:

and 1 man bivvy from the same catalogue :evil:

the force 8 bivvy is awsome lots of space for storage bedchair.. etc.....

Hard to say the one piece of tackle I regard the best buy, if I had to say something then I guess my Greys Prodigy Rods with the full duplon handle, real beauties in my opinion, fell in love with 'em as soon as I held one in the shop and coupled up with my 10k's the whole set up is sweet as a nut; the only time I can see me replacing them is if I break one :P

Worst buy; nothing comes to mind but I'm sure I'll come up with something :P

Best buys;

JRC STi 2-man bivvy with extended overwrap. Spacious? Oh yes!

Nash Indulgence Mk4 bedchair. The best night's sleep. End of.

Prestige Carporter Mk2 with underslung carry bag. Bad back? Not any more :)

Worst?

Carpology magazine. Any edition.

A set of TFG Force 8 bite alarms with receiver. Utter rubbish from the outset. I gave them away AND paid the postage. Gladly.

Ian

best ------- daiwa sensor ,best line for the money

jrc sti --------- still going strong

jrc stealth bedchair ------- well comfy

shimi 8000's --- the original and best none of this double handles balls

worst

daiwa emcast evo ---- line clip is pants ,handle fell to bits

wycwood rogue freespin --- pants ,handle also fell to bits

anti insect candle , gives off more soot than a coal burning powerstation

best ------- daiwa sensor ,best line for the money

jrc sti --------- still going strong

jrc stealth bedchair ------- well comfy

shimi 8000's --- the original and best none of this double handles balls

worst

daiwa emcast evo ---- line clip is pants ,handle fell to bits

wycwood rogue freespin --- pants ,handle also fell to bits

anti insect candle , gives off more soot than a coal burning powerstation

That last line has me grinning. :lol:

Ian

hi all,

best buys,

tfg force 8 bivvy

the force 8 bivvy is awsome lots of space for storage bedchair.. etc.....

You're kidding, right?

I can see that it may be an improvement over one from Argos, but the force 8 is the worst bit of kit i've owned.

best buys;

okuma powerliner 60's- never let me down!

nash double top professional mark 2- loads of room and very warm!

JRC continental bedchair- got it free from a guy at the lake, it is soooooooo nice!

worst buys;

cheap reels from car boot sale- lets just say that are the worst reels ever made

cheap line from the same car boot as the reels- it couldnt even hold a lead in the air and was supposedly 12lb BS! :evil::evil::evil: !!!

Best Buys?

Hmm.....

Fox Eos-r Bite Alarm's and RX. I Like flahing lights and bleeping things

Nash Double Top Extreme Bivvy. Warm as toast

Nash Indulgence BedChair. The Ultimate Nights Sleep

Worst Buys?

Set of 3 Reels From E-Bay. Total Rubish!

Pro-Logic Landing net, Broke when landing a 10lb fish

Wychwood Big Pits. Nasty Line lay was there best feature

Best buys so far-

> Shimano Biomaster XTA's

> Chub water-proof jacket

> Shimano Tribal XTreme bib n brace

> £3 pair of polaroids from Aldi :lol:

Worst buys yet:

> Fox reveal braid

> Korda strippa tool

Up dated, a year on: I do abuse my gear :?

Shimano Biomaster XTA;

AWESOME! complete work horse- still sweet as a nut, caught loads on em, all weathers, all situations :D

the one thing that has happened that is annoying when it does- is when the line goes behind the spool if you cast in strong head winds or a loop of line isnt tight- but that is seriously the one minor thing that has ever happened.

I love them to pieces, and i will never ever sell them on even when (if) i get new upgraded reels, I want another 2 or 3 of them :D:D

The chub jacket;

amazingly comfy, warm, waterproof and wind proof- removable fleece- however- one of the elasticated hems has broken, and the inner lining of the outer jacket has torn. The water proof shell is however still as perfect as the day i brought it, including the removable fleece :)

The Shimano XTR bib n brace;

Not as waterproof as it was meant to be, an improvement on the old tribal stuff- i think not.

Not worth the money i paid for it when it first acme out last year- the brace "slips" to easy and so you have to put a few stitches in it at the desired strap length, rips easy :roll: Looks wicked tho and is water proof to rain. The knees need to be reinforced- a pit fall of many bib'n braces :?

They arent as bad as im making out, just a little disapointing, not terrible by any means

£3 Polaroids;

Still in one piece, not bad 8)

Added to the best list:

Fox ranger rods;

- after years of use, i have never had a problem, lost very few fish on them. Will be sad to see them go :cry: caught many pbs, including my current pbs :)

Chub Vantage Carp rods;

- bought new this year, seem awesome, caught on them twice so far but They seem perfect, slim, sexy, butt kicking action- will evaluate them this time next year, will hopefully catch a few pbs :D

Chub Bait caddy;

- only used it for one session but i honestly dont know why i didnt get one sooner :D makes life easier :lol:

Delkim Plus;

A whole year without a single problem- magic :D

added worst buys:

non spring to mind. i wasted a bit of money- i broke a few needles, lost a catapult (fox power guard that i replaced with another) and i regret buying the 8" rather than the 7" Reuben stainless steel dual buzzbars as the 7" would look better :wink: thats all i can complain about :lol:

my worst

1.dragon carp baitrunners{went rusty}

2.dragon carp pod{fell to bits}

3.dragon carp bite alarms

my best

1.giant bite alarms{set of 3 for 10er di a great job}

2.jrc x-lo chair {comfy and light}

3.dragon carp rods{did great job for a starter rod}