Fishing with a clear conscience

stewpot

I've been thinking about posting this for a while...how many of you feel a twinge of regret for the fish you've just landed, not enough to stop fishing obviously, but enough sometimes to feel uncomfortable with what you've just done.

I'm not talking about giving it up or anything silly like that, it's just that I have a respect for our quarry and sometimes this clashes with my love for fishing

It's one of the reasons I rarely pose with fish for the cameras. Once it's caught and unhooked I prefer to get it back in it's environment asap. I was watching one of the Korda DVDs the other day and found myself getting really wound up with the amount of posing for the cameras going on.. 'hold it this way, hold it up, one more, one more with you kissing it, etc'

:evil:

A very good post sir,

it is very important that a hunter, and thats what carpers are, show the utmost respect for any living quarry. i always return fish as quickly as i can, at the expense of "trophy" shots, hence i have no pics of me holding a fish up! and yes the dvd`s showing people keeping fish out of water for a long time annoy me as well

Looked after correctly you should have plenty of time to take photo's before returnig a fish. If everything is set up prior to catching then it should only be a matter of minutes before the fish is returned with photo's , measurements , and any wounds seen to. :)

If it affects you in that way then maybe you should try something else.

There is no harm in a few shots of your catch what so ever,if done correctly and with care .

Carp can survive alot longer out of water than you probably think and as long as you look after them when they are on the bank then you will have no troubles at all.

Not being funny but statements like yours just fuel the fires of the anti brigade.

If it affects you in that way then maybe you should try something else.

There is no harm in a few shots of your catch what so ever,if done correctly and with care .

Carp can survive alot longer out of water than you probably think and as long as you look after them when they are on the bank then you will have no troubles at all.

Not being funny but statements like yours just fuel the fires of the anti brigade.

i'll second that "screaming",your spot on there

Personally i think its important to keep a fish for a time to check it over and attend to wounds etc, obviously not too long but to be honest ive never seen,even on DVD', anglers keeping them out too long. I think its probably the least stressful part of the capture IMO.

Its surprising how long fish can stay out of water,as long as you pour lake water on the gills they will be fine. They dont need to be submerged to breath.

f it affects you in that way then maybe you should try something else.

Eh? Did you even read the post? How, how, how - in your world - does respecting the quarry and caring about fish welfare provide fuel to the anti brigade. Enlighten me.

I read your post and I think a lot of people relate to what your saying.

The real truth is that in times gone by the environment was wilder and fishing and hunting went hand in hand. Now times have changed and the needs and drive of many are being sated by commercial environments, often purely existing for profit and often poorly run, this has confused many who struggle with the arguments for and against the welfare of carp when considering their conscience.

The truth is still that it is predominately the fishermen and the owners of fisheries that care and campaign on behalf of their environment and the welfare of fish. Over the years this pressure has brought about great changes, for example in the River Thames, which is now one of the cleanest in Europe and actually was, at one point, almost completely dead.

If you look at the devastation being wreaked on the environment by the recent introduction of otters, you can see a real example of this today. It was a foolish idea and is decimating populations of all species of fish. In Scotland, it may even end the Salmon runs that many fishermen have worked so hard to preserve for many years. The only people who will campaign against this re-introduction of otters are those affected - the fishermen - but if successful they will achieve a great victory which all wildlife will benefit from in future generations.

If you look at the devastation being wreaked on the environment by the recent introduction of otters, you can see a real example of this today. It was a foolish idea and is decimating populations of all species of fish. In Scotland, it may even end the Salmon runs that many fishermen have worked so hard to preserve for many years. The only people who will campaign against this re-introduction of otters are those affected - the fishermen - but if successful they will achieve a great victory which all wildlife will benefit from in future generations.

Well said, i echo that. Im not sure they realised just what would happen. Basically we have stocked the 'larder' for them during their absence :cry:

I can't imagine feeling so guilty I wouldn't have time for a picture. I enjoy looking back through my photos every now and again to be reminded of good sessions.

I give them the best care I can on the bank by being gentle, using mats and keeping them wet so I have a clear conscience and don't worry about it.

Eh? Did you even read the post? How, how, how - in your world - does respecting the quarry and caring about fish welfare provide fuel to the anti brigade. Enlighten me.

Good man! I'd hoped that you would reply along those lines. Very well said.

Ian

I don't think they are referring to your statements regarding your respect for your quarry or your care for fish.

.. how many of you feel a twinge of regret for the fish you've just landed, not enough to stop fishing obviously, but enough sometimes to feel uncomfortable with what you've just done.

This statement, intended to or not, implies that at some point you thought you were doing something "wrong".

Its the way you said having feelings of regret for "what you have just done" in regards to catching a carp and feeling uncorfortable with it aswell that annoyed me to tell you the truth matey.

If it affected me like that,i would sell all my stuff tomorrow.

I understand your consern with having a great care for the carp you catch but REGRETS or feeling UNCOMFORTABLE with it,no.

With regards to the anti comments i made, i have suffered at the hands of these people myself

I have had threatening letters from these idiots because i had my picture in the local paper holding a carp.

The letters were basically saying things like, how can i catch fish without having regrets for what i have put them through.

These idiots have threatened me with violence and have told me to watch my back,they will jump on anything that they can use againts us fisherman.

I look at it this way, I may "survive" under water for a minute or two!

Totally different biological make up, you cant compare human respiratory to a fishes. I know where your coming from though.

I think it was on here that i once read about a guy waking up to find all his koi on the lawn after a flash flood? They had survived fine for hours on nothing more than wet grass.........

OK if my OP was not clear let me try to clarify by using another example and different context, but bear with me and if I’m still not expressing what I am trying to say clearly, don’t waste typing time and come out with stupid remarks about giving it up. I think it’s clear if not from the original post (though I still don’t see how) but from others that I’ve made on here how much I enjoy fishing!

I shoot. In fact I used to stalk deer regularly when I lived in the UK. Whenever I killed, say a stag and then had to gralloch the still warm carcass, I felt, well slightly sorry I suppose, that I had ended the life of such a magnificent creature. However it had to be done and whilst at the same time as having a momentary twinge of regret it was nothing more than that, a kind of apology, or a nod of respect if you like towards a wild animal that, this time at least, I had managed to out fox. I enjoyed the stalk, would take pride in a clean and instant kill and be buzzing about it for days afterwards

Before anybody points out the difference between killing something as a form of pest control (or for food) and catching a carp, don’t bother stating the obvious. I know it’s not the same thing, but it is still sport. I’m just trying to explain that sometimes, after I’ve caught a particularly good fish I get something approaching that same feeling.

Remember, although the carp goes back in the water, hopefully not too worse for wear, it has still been taken, unwillingly, from it’s natural environment, has had the stress of a fight and of being on the bank, perhaps sustained some damage, bashed it’s head on the lead etc. These aren’t suppositions these are facts and if I didn’t acknowledge those facts and feel some respect for the fish for providing my sport, in addition to the pleasure of actually catching, I would be less human.

As far as picture taking goes I am more than capable of judging whether a fish needs to go back in the water as soon as it is unhooked and checked over, or whether I’m happy to take another minute or so getting it on camera. I made the comment after watching a tackle company DVD and IMO they spent too long messing about taking photo’s, even letting it go at one stage and the quickly picking it back out again for yet another photo shoot.

Anyway I’m saying no more, I’ve got exams tomorrow and then I’m going fishing for 3 days.

:D:D:D

Edited for swearing BBJ

I look at it this way, I may "survive" under water for a minute or two!

Totally different biological make up, you cant compare human respiratory to a fishes. I know where your coming from though.

I think it was on here that i once read about a guy waking up to find all his koi on the lawn after a flash flood? They had survived fine for hours on nothing more than wet grass.........

totally agree, i have heard of similar instances. my only point is that it cant be comfortable for them and being that fish can get stressed, which doesn't help with certain diseases etc, the less time on the bank the better!

probably should have said the above in my original post lol

Can I have a go?

I know that whenever I go fishing I aim to catch fish, whether roach, pike, carp or chub.

I enjoy taking pictures of the fish so that I can go back and look at my "personal history", even if they don't mean anything to anyone else, I have the memories. That does not mean that I photograph every fish, some I will just return, that does not mean I enjoyed them any less than those I do photograph.

One of my habits when fishing, if I hook and land a big fish after returning it, is to look to the heavens and Thank God for the pleasure it gave me. I feel a twinge of sympathy for the fish, but not regret it.

If it is a particularly good fish of whatever species I am pleased to catch it, but at the same time feel a little saddened that I have. Maybe it is simply the outwitting the fish, or maybe something more. Whatever I don't totally understand it :wink:

Maybe it is the Hunter in me :!:

i must say yes in the DVD's they have the fish out for a longer time then we personaly would have them out for but if you keep the carp wet and cool they can be out the water for some time. and you have to take into consideration when they take them pictures the carp would have been put in a sack for time to recover. i do something similar for when i want a pic of my new pb or a fish i want to rember i put it back in my landing net and lower it back in the water for it to recover before i take my pic. i also do feel slightly bad about takeing the fish out of its enviorment but i enjoy the pleasure i get from the catch and the main thing i worry about is that he/she swims off in the state i coaught it in (with out the hook), with out a mark or serioce discomfort for the fish. so as long as it reterns back safe m happy :)

I'm not sure wether or not I'm in context with this thread but I always talk to any fish I may catch in the period between landing and releasing. I like to think that I'm reassuring my catch that all is well. This applies to all species.

Truth be told, I'm probably reassuring myself that what I'm doing is acceptable.

I find myself on the side of Stewpot, although not exactly sure why.

Ian

I'm not sure wether or not I'm in context with this thread but I always talk to any fish I may catch in the period between landing and releasing. I like to think that I'm reassuring my catch that all is well. This applies to all species.

Truth be told, I'm probably reassuring myself that what I'm doing is acceptable.

Ian

you on the pill's mate? talking to the fish :lol: saying that i have sed "c'mon, easy does it" or "thats it, keep carm" when they get abit fistey on the bank :lol: and welder please tell me you didnt have a full blown conversation with the fish :lol:

Ian

you on the pill mate, talking to the fish :lol: saying that i have sed "c'mon, easy does it" or "thats it, keep carm" when they get abit fistey on the bank :lol: and welder please tell me you didnt have a full blown conversation with the fish :lol:

One day, when you have matured a little, and have developed some body hair, you will understand where I'm coming from and, hopefully, my reasoning.

This may take a while. And some extra curricular English lessons, with a bias towards spelling and punctuation, it seems.

If you don't fully understand this reply, I'm not at all surprised.

Ian

Ian

you on the pill mate, talking to the fish :lol: saying that i have sed "c'mon, easy does it" or "thats it, keep carm" when they get abit fistey on the bank :lol: and welder please tell me you didnt have a full blown conversation with the fish :lol:

One day, when you have matured a little, and have developed some body hair, you will understand where I'm coming from and, hopefully, my reasoning.

This may take a while. And some extra curricular English lessons, with a bias towards spelling and punctuation, it seems.

If you don't fully understand this reply, I'm not at all surprised.

Ian

what are you trying to say? its called haveing a laff and joke my freind. by the way i actuly understand your post and i love fishing just as much as anyone else on the site, my passion has been for angling for years now and i enjoy every second i am on the bank even when im blanking even when it has been for weeks when i chase my goal of breaking my pb. also carp.com is not a spelling or gramma website, it is for talking about aspects of fishing :!: i am mature if you actuly knew me in person and i do have body hair mate. i must be clever as im doing an as-level in engineering :!: so before you make them accusation's towards me i think you should get to know the person before you make them. i no why you talk to the fish, its cause unlike most people in england you care about our country and its wildlife and to your supprise i am the same. i actuly promised my self i will beat the hell out of some one if i saw them causing harm to fish or any wildlife. i must say to if i didnt share the same passion as you for carp angling i wouldnt have joined this site at all would i? and to be honest im actuly offended to how you sumed me up to being a stupied, imature, lack of puberty and saying i have no passion for my sport when you have never met me in person, hardly know me and you dont know my passion for angaling like most fellow fishermen do have the same understanding :?