leadcore leader

bully32

Leadcore is just as safe as any other leader (Whether it be mono, tubing etc) IF used correctly and responsibly - But that's for another topic :)

I tend to use a loop to loop knot for my leaders, makes for easier changing if needed and it's a good strong knot.

It most definately isnt as safe as any other leader. Best knot is the moores knot or a needle knot as far smaller and neater than a loop to loop. Best to use it with a helicopter or running lead rig as far safer than a leadclip. The loop to loop knot is the easiest to use and does make it easier to change leaders but i dont like it due to it being harder for beads etc to pass over it and for the loops to have a tendancy to clog up with silk weed etc making it even harder to eject rig components.

Hello to all.. Look i no there is alot of differant views on leadcore but if used properly with a hlicopter rig there is no safer leader to use its differant horses for corses its more down to schooling on how to use the stuff trust me some of the lead clip set ups iv sin are herendouse!!! and other leaders etc its down to the angler to make his or hers rigs and leaders safe and tie them properly! how many people use hook lengths in a higher breaking strain than there reel line??? as i say learn properly before use... And yes the needle knot is best for attachment. use in helicopter form with rubber beeds and large eyed swivels then everthing can pass over the end if ever there was a problem hope this helps... tight lines... be lucky... 8):wink:

A lot of people keep mentioning the needle knot. Have you tried the needle knot, do you know what it was originally used for.?. I would never use this knot or any other for attaching leadcore to mainline.It can and will prevent beads and clips from coming off the leader.The line should be spliced onto the leader so if your line does break there is a clear end for tackle to be safley ejected. Any knot in any line will weaken it so increasing your chances of a break.Also a line of no less than 15lb should be used with leadcore.

Education not condemnation. :)
advising people not to use it is education is it not. the stuff is awfull even when used "correctly" in mine and a lot of other people opinions and evidence, you do not need to use it so why risk it?

Advising people not to use leadcore is not education. Instructing in its correct use is.
IF there is a correct use then maybe, but in all honesty there is no correct use, only dangerous.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40970&highlight=leadcore

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794&highlight=leadcore

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44156&highlight=leadcore

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40711&highlight=leadcore

i wont lock this because it will look like i am being petty trying to win an agument :wink: the fact is leadcore is dangerous whichever way it is used and therefore not worth using

Advising people not to use leadcore is not education. Instructing in its correct use is.
IF there is a correct use then maybe, but in all honesty there is no correct use, only dangerous.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40970&highlight=leadcore

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39794&highlight=leadcore

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44156&highlight=leadcore

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=40711&highlight=leadcore

i wont lock this because it will look like i am being petty trying to win an agument :wink: the fact is leadcore is dangerous whichever way it is used and therefore not worth using

i thought about locking this and decided not to for the same reason, the way i see it , the only reason for using leadcore is the chod rig, and thats just because a few names use it, so whats wrong with the hinged stiff link for pop ups, no leadcore and very similar presentation.

i thought about locking this and decided not to for the same reason, the way i see it , the only reason for using leadcore is the chod rig, and thats just because a few names use it, so whats wrong with the hinged stiff link for pop ups, no leadcore and very similar presentation.

My reason for using it is large beds of mucles in the lake i fish.If i'm fishing another venue then i use a 20lb flouro leader if i need to use a choddy.

Bully32. If your venue is weedy then leadcore is the last thing you should be using.For a start it won't do the job its designed for and thats sitting flat on the bed of the lake.

• 1 month later...

i dont think anything else works on the chod except leadcore, you can use a fluoro leader but then you end up weighting down the pop-up...............which then stops the pop-up floating up the line, changing the mechanics of it,for which it is used for in the 1st place.

heli/chod set up is the only way i think is safest (note safest not safe)

jem....i cant see how a running rig set up is any different to a leadclip...the link is still attached to the leadcore,meaning a break would still leave the fish trailing the leadcore........unlike the heli,where if the bead can pass freely then it should slip off the leader at some point leaving only the hooklink in the fishes mouth.

now take snagging up out of the conversation ,the is still the fiction factor of it rubbing on the flanks...but this isnt as bad as what they do to themselves during spawning,not that that matters what they do to them self only what anglers do.

Needle knot for mainline connection. Leave long tag end in mainline (shorter tag end will be stiffer and can trap components). Only ever use in a rotary set up. No need for a top bead (fix ring desired length from lead with PVA tape for the cast).

No leader should ever be used with a leadclip, inline, or running set-up. I.E. no leader should ever be used whereby the hooklink is attached directly to the leader via a knot. In the event of a breakage (of mainline or leader) the hooklink should be able to pass off completly.

Also, prior to tying a leadcore leader it should be pre-stretched. This lowers the diameter of the leadcore making in less obtrusive, and easier for the hooklink to pass over it. Also, once leader is stretched, hold it underwater and sqeeze between your fingers to remove any air from within the fibres.

I've seen leadcore condemed all too often. Carp safety is a matter of opinion and of fishing style. Snag fishing with leadcore if often condemed. I often use leadcore leaders when snag fishing. The train of thought being a landed fish is safer than a lost one. I've fished a lot of waters with highly abrasive snags and leadcore results in more fish on the bank. Simples.

I also set up the lead with either a "choppa droppa" style set up, whereby the lead is lost on the take, or a "rotten bottom" wherbey the lead is lost if snagged (which depends on the amount of weed / snags in the vicinity of the swim). This means there is less for the rig to snag up on, and generally means the carp surfaces early on in the fight, thus lessening the chances of loss to snagging / weed.

I will use leadcore with a drop off inline set-up when PVA bag (solid) fishing, but then i only use approx 6" of leadcore, for quick attachement purposes.

The common argument that leadcore can kink and thus mean components cannot pass over it is rediculous. Any amount of tension on said kinked leadcore would instantly straighten it back out again. I don't buy into this!

Leadcore is far from being the be all and end all. But it does have it place. As does everything.